International Journal of Humanities and Social Science

ISSN 2220-8488 (Print), 2221-0989 (Online) 10.30845/ijhss

Perceptions on the Availability, Accessibility and Use of Modern Contraceptive Methods among Women in Iringa Municipality, Tanzania
Abdallah A. Kamangu

A study involving 218 women of reproductive age between 18-49 years was carried out in Iringa Municipality to identify the perceptions on the availability, accessibility and use of modern contraceptive methods. Interviews, focus group discussion, documentary review and field observation were used in data collection. Findings show that more than a half (51.4%) of the studied population reported high availability of modern family methods. Among the methods available, male condom, injectable and implants were known by more than 75% of the respondents. Out of 218 respondents, 161 (73.8%) were using modern family methods in which 67.7% reported to experience no problem in accessing the services. However, the remaining 32.3% affirmed to experience some problems while accessing the services. The major problems encountered were shortage of family planning service providers and deficit of some methods such as implants. The use of modern contraceptive methods was found to be associated with age and occupation (p=0.05 and p=0.1) respectively. It is concluded that, modern contraceptive methods are available, accessible and used. In order to lower fertility rates in the study area more education is needed to the community on the essentials of using permanent modern methods such as sterilization especially to those with reasonable number of children. Additionally, there is also a need to involve males by educating them on the significance of these methods in controlling fertility so as to expand the utilization to both men and women.

Full Text: PDF